six demon bag
Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
For a couple months now I've been observing the Automatic Updates service (wuauserv) causing high CPU load on hosts running Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP after new updates had been released. The problem vanished after the updates had been installed.
Posted 12:13 [permalink]
List DFS replication groups:
dfsradmin rg list
List replicated folders in a replication group:
dfsradmin rf list /rgname:<REPL_GROUP>
Posted 15:16 [permalink]
Python's interactive mode is very convenient, because you can try simple stuff without having to write it to a script first. Since I have to do a lot of VBScript lately, I wanted to have something like that for VBScript, too.
Update: Added an
Import() procedure for loading/executing additional code from other VBScript files.
vbsh can now be customized with an optional init script
Update: Added a function to look up keywords in the VBScript documentation (requires that
script56.chm is installed in the current working directory, the Windows help directory, or one of the directories in the
%PATH%). Note that you'll need the English language version of
script56.chm, since other language versions use different internal paths.
Posted 18:03 [permalink]
Today I encountered the following error message on one of my servers (running Windows Server 2008) when I started Process Explorer:
Posted 11:58 [permalink]
The VBScript language doesn't provide a feature for including other code files, so you can't easily build and import code libraries. However, the missing feature can be emulated using the
ExecuteGlobal statement in a custom
Posted 14:00 [permalink]
Running the following command for backing up a printserver configuration
"%SystemRoot%\System32\spool\tools\PrintBrm.exe" -B -S server -F "C:\path\to\backup.pbk"
gave me an error after listing the printer ports:
The following error occurred: 0x8007007b. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. Check the eventlog for detailed information about the error which occurred.
PrintBrm doesn't seem to like double quotes around the backup file name, at least not on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. I changed the command line to
"%SystemRoot%\System32\spool\tools\PrintBrm.exe" -B -S server -F C:\path\to\backup.pbk
and the backup ran without issues.
Posted 16:15 [permalink]
Internet Explorer exposes a COM object that can be controlled programmatically e.g. from a VBScript. The usual way is to create a new Internet Explorer instance and work with that:
Set ie = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
However, sometimes you may want to use an already running instance instead of creating a new one.
Posted 20:59 [permalink]
Although IBM doesn't officially support its TSM client on Linux distributions other than SLES and RHEL the client works quite nicely on Debian. With version 6.4 you need at least the following 4 packages on AMD64 systems:
Posted 00:46 [permalink]
Back in the days of Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 it was common practice to copy the
i386 folder from the CD to the server and change the
SourcePath registry value, so you wouldn't have to shuffle installation media around for adding/removing Windows features. With the advent of Windows Vista and Server 2008 Microsoft introduced the component store. Now all Windows features were put on disk by default and simply had to be activated/deactivated. That increased the size of a Windows installation by factor 3-4, but on the other hand disk space had become rather inexpensive, so it wasn't that big a deal. And although the component store can be a little fragile at times it usually works quite well.
So far, so good. But what happened now with the release of Windows 8 and Server 2012? Someone at Microsoft decided that the component store took up too much space, so they introduced a new concept called "Features on Demand", which simply means that administrators can free disk space by removing components from the store. The .Net Framework 3.5 for instance was removed by default.
This is not a bad thing per se. However, the removed framework still shows up as an installable feature (e.g. in Server Manager), only now you're prompted for an alternate source path when you choose to install the framework. So what we have now is that the component store still eats up disk space (I didn't notice any significant reduction in used disk space) and we're back to either shuffling installation media around or copying sources to the local harddisk (eating up even more disk space).
Posted 15:06 [permalink]
Sometimes you run into a situation where you need to determine the permissions on some directory tree. Be it to document or clean up permissions on the subdirectories of a share, to troubleshoot permission issues due to deleted accounts or groups, or whatever. Manually analyzing permissions is quite tedious, even when using standard tools like
xcacls. The output of
XCACLS.vbs isn't any better, but since it's a script, I considered modifying it to suit my needs … until I took an actual look at the script. I abondoned the thought afterwards.
Posted 20:14 [permalink]
For a customer project I had to create a couple dozen virtual machines on our Hyper-V cluster. The machines were to be installed via a 3rd party software deployment system (the customer doesn't use SCCM), so I had to assign static MAC addresses and enable PXE boot. The respective reservations on the DHCP server had to be created from the MAC addresses in a second step, because the customer domain is separated from the infrastructure domain.
Posted 11:09 [permalink]